Jeff is a proven litigator and trusted counselor for clients facing their most significant legal and business challenges.
Jeff Rotenberg concentrates on the representation of public and private companies and individuals in business and commercial litigation and arbitration, focusing on financial services, securities, governance and private equity and other investment fund matters. Jeff has extensive experience navigating multi-jurisdictional and cross-border issues and regularly represents parties from around the globe in pre-suit negotiations and dispute resolution.
Jeff regularly advises clients in connection with commercial contracts, financings, joint ventures, and change of control and other transactions and business arrangements. He applies his litigation background to develop and implement strategies to manage risk and reduce exposure and best position clients should disputes arise.
Jeff also has substantial experience designing and conducting internal investigations on behalf of clients in a range of industries in response to governmental and regulatory inquiries, whistleblower reports and stockholder demands, and representing companies and individuals in investigations and related proceedings.
Prior to joining Clark Smith Villazor, Jeff was a partner at a large international law firm for 11 years.
Jeff’s representative matters include:
- Representing numerous Lebanese commercial banks in lawsuits in federal and state courts arising from the country’s financial crisis and disputes over release and transfer of customer funds. Argued to the Second Circuit and obtained affirmance of dismissal in Daou v. BLC Bank, 42 F.4th 120 (2d Cir. 2022) which limited reliance on foreign bank New York correspondent activity as a basis for the exercise of personal jurisdiction under New York law.
- Representing investment firms in disputes with portfolio companies, co-investors and borrowers including arising from and relating to events of default, exercise of remedies, earn-outs, and purchase and sale rights.
- Representing private equity firm in lawsuit against venture fund in connection with sale of securities in now bankrupt cyber company.
- Advising companies in connection with disputes arising from termination of service provider agreements.
- Obtained dismissal of federal securities complaint against Spain solar energy company alleging misrepresentations regarding debt and liquidity and compliance with accounting procedures.
- Representing New York based publicly traded food company in securities fraud litigation involving allegations of unsustainable business practices relating to customer discounts.
- Representing financial services firm in disputes relating to derivatives trading and the purchase and sale of physical commodities.
Regulatory, Criminal and Investigatory Matters
- Representing individuals in DOJ, SEC, FINRA, CFTC and other federal and state regulatory investigations and proceedings into and involving financial sector related conduct.
- Conducting investigations on behalf of independent directors of public company boards of directors in connection with potential bankruptcy claims and representation of directors in related proceedings.
- Conducted investigation for multi-billion global charity arising from allegations of diversion of funds to a designated terrorist organization in the Gaza Strip and representing charity in related dealings with governmental authorities.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of a global media company in connection with various governmental and other inquiries and proceedings relating to broadcasting rights for professional soccer competitions.